TWiT is looking for a System Administrator. This is an in-house position at the TWiT Brick House Studios in Petaluma, California.
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of hosted systems and software. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within TWiT's infrastructure.
Duties include ensuring that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to enable staff, volunteers, and, of course, organizational values.
This individual will assist development teams with code provisioning, version control and other technical issues. These activities include the definition of needs, technical analysis and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out internal apps and solutions.
This individual will also be accountable for the following systems: Linux (primarily), Windows and Application systems that support app development; Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
Engineering of SA-related Solutions for Various Project and Operational Needs:
1. Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
2. Contribute to and maintain system standards.
3. Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support:
1. Maintain Development, QA and Production environments for developers
2. Familiarity with PHP, Perl, NGinx, Varnish and MySQL
3. Python coding and BASH shell scripting experience highly desired
4. Must have experience load balancing/performance servers on large scale web deployments
5. Ability to troubleshoot and optimize CMS-based systems (i.e. Drupal) at a high-level
6. Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
7. Experience in Shell scripting and Linux automation
8. Manage cloud-hosted dedicated servers and virtual machines
9. Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
1. Perform daily system monitoring, (i.e. nagios) reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
2. Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
3. Upgrade and configure system software and TWiT's custom applications per project or operational needs.
4. Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
1. Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science or equivalent experience.
2. Four to six years of system administration experience.
1. Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
2. Provides occasional guidance, some of which is technical.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org